Friday 17 February 2012

CONTEXT

“Look after the pounds and the pennies will look after themselves” – Someone

“You have to find a way of working that manages your business not in content but in context. Context is that which brings meaning. It provides a common language within the business process. It gives clarity to all the content and allows a business conversation to unfold, resulting in aligned decision making and understanding.” – John Rosling

CONTEXT stops you wasting time and keeps everyone involved in a process, discussion or decision-making process aligned.

I run a Context in every meeting I have. I try to find out what Context every situation you get involved in has and to quickly see if I should be in that situation or not. It applies equally well to meetings, entertainments- even relationships.

I suppose because I’m getting older and my time is increasingly valuable, I want to get to the point of any situation quickly. I’ve never been a great conversationalist; I’m not very eloquent but get me excited about you and I get animated, energised and focussed. I’ll try and find a Context that will make you focussed and more importantly happy.

If you’re struggling, I’ll work with you. I’ll nurture you, not rescue you.

Finding the Context is like a magic trick. When you show someone a fantastic trick, they’re really impressed. When you try teaching them how to do it themselves, they either feel disappointed (“Oh, I knew how that was done.”) It’s now that they realise how much effort it would take to do the trick and are not willing, or- and these are the people I love- they realise how easy it is and start developing it straight away.

I'm slipping out of CONTEXT now... but I will leave you with one thought.
It doesn’t matter what Context you have in life-but wouldn’t it be nice if your CONTEXT was good for you and good for others, meaning you’re working for the benefit of your fellow man?

END
NEXT - ALIGNMENT

No comments:

Post a Comment